Would you like to sleep under the stars to help the homeless keep warm?
Join us on the 24th November 2017 for our sponsored SleepOut at Southwark Cathedral
Click here to register and find out about the practicalities of the event.
Each November, you can join more than 150 volunteers sleeping outdoors in the precincts of Southwark Cathedral, raising money to offer warm beds to South London’s homeless during the winter.
Our next SleepOut will take place on Friday, 24th November 2017, at Southwark Cathedral.
Making a world of difference
The bridge in the image above represents the hope which can be provided to homeless people by the Robes Project, as they cross over from homelessness and turn their lives around.
It was painted by Nicky Nicholls, an artist who experienced homelessness herself, in memory of a woman she knew on the streets who has now passed away.
What happens on the night?
The SleepOut is fun! It includes:
- Live entertainment from 8pm
- An auction
- A short evening service at 10pm
- Time to socialise
- A small security group looking after your safety
- A small army of helpers with refreshments
- Hot drinks, toilets and first aid available all night
- And emergency shelter, in case of extreme weather conditions
Why do people join us?
For all kinds of reasons:
“I’ve always been concerned about homeless people. I think it’s a chance to empathise with the position they’re in.”
“The cold eventually penetrates!”
“It’s important to support local charities. We’re here to get a feel for what the homeless put up with every night.”
“I’m here, in the last weeks of November, when it’s NOT warm, to help provide beds for the winter months.”
Our patron Simon Hughes
“The reason I’m sleeping out tonight is because my uncle is homeless.”
Watch our video to see why people are game to spend a night out in the cold:
And of course you can donate today.
Image credit: Alexandra Coyle
As usual, we have some amazing entertainment lined up for you all on the evening of the SleepOut, featuring the Oompah Brass Band - www.oompahbrass.com Q&A with former homeless painter, Nicky Nicholls and as always, an exciting auction led by Roger Royle If you...read more
- Former homeless woman provides branding for stellar fundraiser - On Friday 25th November 2016, Southwark and Lambeth homeless charity, the Robes Project, will host its 6th annual SleepOut event at Southwark Cathedral. More than one hundred people are expected to...read more