Would you like to sleep under the stars to help the homeless keep warm?
Each November, you can join more than 150 volunteers sleeping outdoors in the precincts of Southwark Cathedral, raising money to offer warm beds to South London’s homeless during the winter.
Our next SleepOut will take place on Friday, 24th November 2017, at Southwark Cathedral
Making a world of difference
The bridge in the image above represents the hope which can be provided to homeless people by the Robes Project, as they cross over from homelessness and turn their lives around.
It was painted by Nicky Nicholls, an artist who experienced homelessness herself, in memory of a woman she knew on the streets who has now passed away.
What happens on the night?
The SleepOut is fun! It includes:
- Live entertainment from 8pm
- An auction
- A short evening service at 10pm
- Time to socialise
- A small security group looking after your safety
- A small army of helpers with refreshments
- Hot drinks, toilets and first aid available all night
- And emergency shelter, in case of extreme weather conditions
Why do people join us?
For all kinds of reasons:
“I’ve always been concerned about homeless people. I think it’s a chance to empathise with the position they’re in.”
“The cold eventually penetrates!”
“It’s important to support local charities. We’re here to get a feel for what the homeless put up with every night.”
“I’m here, in the last weeks of November, when it’s NOT warm, to help provide beds for the winter months.”
Our patron Simon Hughes
“The reason I’m sleeping out tonight is because my uncle is homeless.”
Watch our video to see why people are game to spend a night out in the cold:
And of course you can donate today.
Image credit: Alexandra Coyle
- Former homeless woman provides branding for stellar fundraiser - On Friday 25th November 2016, Southwark and Lambeth homeless charity, the Robes Project, will host its 6th annual SleepOut event at Southwark Cathedral. More than one hundred people are expected to...read more
The SleepOut Fundraiser is back for another year to help provide winter night shelter for those homeless in the Southwark and Lambeth area. For the first time, this winter, we will be running two shelters simultaneously! Come and join us on Friday 25th November from...read more